Caroline Jordan Fitness Tip of the Week: National Yoga Month
September is the official National Yoga Month (a national observance designated by the Department of Health & Human Services) designed to build awareness of yoga’s proven health benefits and provide people with actionable guidance and tools to enhance their own well-being. This grassroots awareness campaign inspires both youths and adults to take responsibility for their well-being by focusing on prevention and healthy lifestyle choices.
Yoga Month Introduces yoga and its proven health benefits to individuals new to yoga by offering the One Week Free Yoga new student program at studios across the country and beyond.
Why Yoga? Here are Caroline’s 10 reasons why you should give yoga a try:
1. STRESS RELIEF: Yoga reduces the physical effects of stress on the body. By encouraging relaxation, yoga helps to lower the levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Related benefits include lowering blood pressure and heart rate, improving digestion and boosting the immune system as well as easing symptoms of conditions such as anxiety, depression, fatigue, asthma and insomnia.
2. PAIN RELIEF: Yoga can ease pain. Studies have demonstrated that practicing yoga asanas (postures), meditation or a combination of the two, reduced pain for people with conditions such as cancer, multiple sclerosis, auto-immune diseases and hypertension as well as arthritis, back and neck pain, and other chronic conditions. Some practitioners report that even emotional pain can be eased through the practice of yoga.
3. BETTER BREATHING: Yoga teaches people to take slower, deeper breaths. This helps to improve lung function, trigger the body’s relaxation response and increase the amount of oxygen available to the body.
4. FLEXIBILITY: Yoga helps to improve flexibility and mobility, increasing range of movement and reducing aches and pains. Many people can’t touch their toes during their first yoga class. Gradually they begin to use the correct muscles. Over time, the ligaments, tendons and muscles lengthen, increasing elasticity, making more poses possible. Yoga also helps to improve body alignment resulting in better posture and helping to relieve back, neck, joint and muscle problems.
5. INCREASED STRENGTH: Yoga asanas (postures) use every muscle in the body, helping to increase strength literally from head to toe. And, while these postures strengthen the body, they also provide an additional benefit of helping to relieve muscular tension.
6. WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: Yoga (even less vigorous styles) can aid weight control efforts by reducing the cortisol levels as well as by burning excess calories and reducing stress. Yoga also encourages healthy eating habits and provides a heightened sense of well-being and self-esteem.
7. IMPROVED CIRCULATION: Yoga helps to improve circulation and, as a result of various poses, more efficiently moves oxygenated blood to the body’s cells.
8. CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONING: Even gentle yoga practice can provide cardiovascular benefits by lowering resting heart rate, increasing endurance and improving oxygen uptake during exercise.
9. FOCUS ON THE PRESENT: Yoga helps us to focus on the present, to become more aware and to help create mind body health. It opens the way to improved concentration, coordination, reaction time and memory.
10. INNER PEACE: The meditative aspects of yoga help many to reach a deeper, more spiritual and more satisfying place in their lives. Many who begin to practice for other reasons have reported this to be a key reason that yoga has become an essential part of their daily lives.
ITS ALL TRUE. Yoga can help you lower blood pressure, decreased stress, improve flexibility (and not just physically!), enhance brain function, lower cholesterol, improve skeletal alignment, strengthen bones/joints, improve respiration, aid in weight loss, enhance circulation, ease the transition through menopause,bring a deeper peace of mind, help with mental focus, integrate the mind with the body, and SO much more….
Yoga isn’t just a physical exercise program. It is a scientific system designed to generate greater clarity and harmony in your life. Through regular practice you will likely notice you are stronger, slimmer, and more flexible. But you will also find that you are more patient, mentally sharper, more relaxed and better able to handle stressful situations.
Many health/fitness programs are difficult to maintain because they are rooted in an overall negative attitude – that you are inadequate and need to ‘fix’ yourself. No wonder we want to quit! Negativity is a terrible motivator, and never gets you to your goals. Yoga meets you exactly where you are and does not judge. By practicing yoga you have the opportunity to gain greater health, flexibility and strength through powerful positive means. This allows you to get healthy by honoring yourself, not forcing yourself.
A regular (even not-so-regular) yoga practice is a journey into a healthier body and happier life. Have you found happiness on the mat yet?
Caroline Jordan Fitness Challenge of the week: One FREE WEEK of YOGA.
New students can get One Week Free Yoga during National Yoga Month which can be redeemed at one of over 1,600+ particiating yoga studios in September and October.
This week I challenge you this week to CELEBRATE national yoga month with a week of yoga practice. How many yoga classes can you participate in? It’s FREE… so you might as well go to town 😉 LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW once you’ve taken a free yoga class. I want to hear about your experience!! Tell me about the studio, style, instructor, and how you felt afterward. Its time to get your downward dog ON. I’ll see you on the mat, lets CELEBRATE National Yoga Month!!
Be nice to yourself. Make yoga part of your life. Cant wait to hear all about it 🙂
Other Things To Check Out This Week:
- FREE Coached Treadmill Workouts. Click HERE to Download Treadmill Run #2. THANKS G SERIES FIT!
- Mountain Climber AB Workout Video. 8 minutes – GET IT!
- SAVE THE DATE! My Birthday is Tuesday September 27th. I will be teaching: 12:30pm Cycling @ EQUINOX SF and 5pm Stability Ball, 530pm BOSU, 6pm Spin Circuit, and 7pm Foam Roller @CLUB ONE CITIGROUP. It would mean the WORLD to have you come and join me for a birthday workout! Hope to see you in class – lets CELEBRATE!