As we approach the new year, there is one thing on everybody’s mind: GOALS. One thing I find extremely effective in setting goals that have lasting power is creating a vision board. A vision board is a visual representation or collage of the things that you want to have, be, or do in your life. It works to activate the law of attraction which is the idea that your mode of thinking, be it positive or negative, directly affects what the universe puts out there for you. In other words, if you think negatively, your life will only result in negativity. But if you put positive mental energy into the universe, positive outcomes—getting that promotion you wanted or getting out of debt—will happen. It’s kind of like the little engine that could, “I think I can I think I can”.
Creating vision boards is considered by many to be a vital step on the road to success. Since positive, focused thinking is the key to achieving goals, pinpointing what those goals are and having something tangible to symbolize them is an essential part of the process. Vision boards remind us what we should and should not be doing in order to achieve our goals. The images and phrases that make the board should represent the highest priorities in your life. It reinforces what you truly want in your life and helps keep you on track in living it.
A vision board usually consists of a poster or foam board with cut-out pictures, drawings and/or writing on it of the things that you want to manifest in your life. It’s simple.
By selecting pictures and writing that charges your emotions with feelings of passion, you will begin to take action towards making those things happen. Your personal vision board is only limited by the extent of your own creativity. Vision boards are whatever you create them to be – I’ve seen everything from simple to those that could probably sell in an art gallery. Having artistic ability is not a prerequisite for creating a functional vision board and the procedures I’ve outlined below can be used by anyone.
The general elements that a well-designed vision board should include are:
- Visual. Your subconscious mind works in pictures and images, so make your vision board as visual as possible with as many pictures as you can. You can supplement your pictures with words and phrases to increase the emotional response you get from it.
- Emotional. Each picture on your vision board should evoke a positive emotional response from you. The mere sight of your vision board should make you happy and fuel your passion to achieve it every time you look at it.
- Strategically-placed. Your vision board should be strategically placed in a location that gives you exposure to it. It’s helpful to look at it often and give your mind a reminder of your desires.
- Personal. Negative feelings, self-doubt, and criticism can damage the delicate energy that your vision board emits. If you fear criticism or justification of your vision board from others, then place it in a private location so it can only be seen by yourself.
- Big piece of cardboard or poster board
- Large selection of magazines (preferably in color)
- Tape/ glue (i prefer double sided tape)
- Printer (for images off the internet you want to include)
Ready to get crafty? Here are my Steps To Create Your Vision Board:
- Decide the main theme of your board. It may be based on something specific you wish to accomplish or obtain, or it may be a general idea of everything that makes you happy. (and yes you can make a vision board just specifically of the man/woman of your dreams 😉 )
- Find pictures that correspond with your theme, either from old magazines, photographs, or from the Internet.
- Print (if necessary) and cut out your pictures.
- Type or write some affirmations or empowering words that correspond with your theme.
- Glue your pictures and affirmations to your poster board and pin them to your cork board.
- Hang your vision board somewhere you will see it often.
Now I know what you are thinking… how can a board full of magazine cut outs REALLY get you what you want out of life?! I understand many skeptics may never get crafty with their goals and cardboard. But there’s no harm in creating something tangible to inspire you. If it does help you get that much closer to your goals, more power to you. Just don’t forget the essential secret to success is to put forth the effort and take action to make what you want out of life happen. A compelling vision combined with focused action is the key to a positive outcome.
What is your vision for 2013?
Leave a comment below if you chose to create a vision board this year. Better yet, send me a photo of your vision board at firstname.lastname@example.org . Looking forward to sharing a bright and beautiful New Year with you. Put what you want OUT THERE. I believe this will be our best year yet! A Compelling Vision + Focused Action = Positive Outcomes and I am POSITIVE about that one 🙂
Happy New Year to you ALL!
Looking for more ways to make your goals a reality in 2013? Check out these posts:
- Ready, SET, Goal SET! Three exercises that will help you get your MIND RIGHT for your best year yet!
- ACCOMPLISH your goals, ATTACK limiting beliefs with a Positive Mental Attitude!
- Make your New Years Workout goal LAST past January…. READ THIS POST!
- Things Your Trainer Wished You Knew
- Refocus. Recommit. Your Year To Dominate.